Have you ever thought of what it takes to launch a virtual assistant side hustle? I break this down in this article plus how to become a virtual assistant and budget-friendly virtual assistant training.
How to Become a Virtual Assistant is the continuation of the side hustle series, which started a few months ago with:-
Those articles broke down the reasons why now is as good a time as any to start a side hustle. It also offered some side hustle ideas.
I’ll be covering individual side hustle ideas over the next few articles. Don’t forget to sign up below if you want to be notified when new articles are added to the website.
Subscribers also have access to the freebie section, which includes:-
- A Guide to Getting Started on Your Freedom Journey
- Easy Guide to Money Management: Small Steps for a Huge Difference
What Exactly Does a Virtual Assistant Do?
A virtual assistant provides services to individuals or companies online as opposed to working in an office.
The term “visual assistant” doesn’t mean a person is performing minor administrative tasks or is a secretary.
Virtual assistant tasks are very detailed and can comprise any number of tasks and activities.
As a virtual assistant, you charge someone or a company an appropriate fee for utilizing one or more of your skills.
Virtual assistant tasks and updates are usually delivered via email, teleconference calls, or regular mail.
By using virtual assistants, companies are able to save a lot of money if a full-time staff member isn’t required.
It’s also a great way for you to monetize your skills in your free time and make some extra money.
Can You Make Money as a Virtual Assistant?
Yes, you can make a significant amount of money as a virtual assistant. How much you make depends on how many skills you have and how you package those skills.
Virtual assistant rates depend on where you’re located but beginners command around $15 — $20/ hour while seasoned virtual assistants can earn upwards of $60/hour.
You may also charge a flat rate for a certain amount of tasks instead of hourly rates. Flat rates end up working out better.
What Should I Offer as a Virtual Assistant?
Various skills you can offer as a virtual assistant could include one or more of below:-
- Social media management
- Data entry
- Basic graphic design
- Customer service
- Content writing
- Email management
- Database management
- Blog management
- Project management
- Travel management
- Calendar management
- Tech support
- SEO (Search engine optimization)
- Web developer
- Any other tasks that might be assigned by your employer
A virtual assistant can be a full-time employee or an independent contractor.
Since this is related to earning extra money while working a full-time job, you will likely be an independent contractor.
What Do I Need to Become a Virtual Assistant?
- As a virtual assistant, you need some sort of online location where people can find you and hire you.
- I recommend a domain name and basic hosting. Read How to Start a Word Press Blog in 30 Minutes or Less.
- A well-equipped home office with a reliable computer and internet connection.
- Basic communication software and equipment such as a headset, Skype/Zoom, and Harvest.
- Telephone, business address, and a way to receive payments.
- Some type of project management/tracking software.
These are the basics. You may find you need something additional based on what kind of VA work you will be doing or what type of skills you have.
Virtual Assistant Training
For a step-by-step guide on becoming a virtual assistant, I recommend the following budget-friendly Udemy courses:-
- Basic Virtual Assisting
- Must-Have Skills (Training) for Virtual Assistants
- New Virtual Assistant Business – Your Blueprint to Launch
- How to Find Your FIRST Virtual Assistant Clients
- Must-Have Tools for Virtual Assistants
- How to Grow Your Virtual Assistant Business Sustainably
- Double Your Virtual Assistant Income with a Niche Skill
- How to set up as a Virtual Assistant: Beginners Essentials
- How to Succeed As a Beginner Virtual Assistant
These virtual assistant training courses are regularly on sale and you can get them for as much as 90% off depending on the time of year.
This post contains affiliate links. Full disclosure HERE.